Welcome to the Alabama Department
Archives and History
For security and preservation of historic records the following procedures must be observed:
You may not take the following items into the Research Room:
• Ink pens
Lockers are available for your convenience at a refundable cost of 25 cents. A change machine is located in the Hale Room.
When in the Joyce C. Hobbs Manuscript Reading Area you may have the following items. Your materials will be inspected by staff upon entry and exit.|
• Note cards
• Loose paper
• Lap tops (without the case)
The Research Room is monitored by closed circuit cameras at all times.
The use of scanner and digital cameras requires permission from the reference staff on duty.
* Please turn off cell phone ringers and step out of the research room for calls so that you do not disturb other researchers.
Students under age 15 should be accompanied by a responsible adult.
Children under 10 are permitted, but must be strictly supervised by parent/guardian and are not allowed to be alone at any time.
• All researchers must have a researcher card. To obtain a card, please register on the computer at the lobby desk outside the Research Room on your first visit.
• A break room with vending machines, a change machine, and a public telephone is located in the Hale Room behind the lobby desk.
• A self-service photocopy machine is available in the Research Room. Copies are $.10 (ten cents) per page.
Citing or Publishing Materials From ADAH Collections
Duplication of Photographs, Maps, or other Visual Images
Visual images from the Archives collections may be used for private, educational, and historical purposes. They may be used in presentations, in publications, to display in places of business, or for other specific uses.
• Limited free parking is available in the parking lot across from the Adams Avenue entrance to the Archives designated as “Reserved Parking for Alabama Department of Archives and History.” Enter the parking lot from Adams Avenue or Alabama Street. There are disabled parking spaces in the parking lot and on the street on Adams Avenue. Please note that the city disabled parking spaces outside the parking lot have a 2-hour time limit.