Flag: 1st Alabama Volunteers (Co. D, Chattahoochee Guards)
Catalogue No. 87.688.1
(PN16362-16364)

Order a copy print

Provenance Reconstruction:

This flag was donated to the Alabama Department of Archives and History by Mrs. Tennent Lomax of Montgomery, Alabama on May 6, 1903. At that time it was identified as the flag carried by Captain Tennent Lomax's company during the "Mexican War, 1847-1848." In a letter written to a Mrs. Besson on April 19, 1903, Mr. James L. Pugh stated that "Mrs. Pope presented a flag to that company in 1847." In another letter to Mrs. Besson (apparently the niece of Tennent Lomax) dated April 27, 1909, Victoria V. Clayton of Eufaula stated that the "Chattahoochee Guards planted the flag on Mt. Orizoba." Both letters are marked "filed by Mrs. C. A. Lomax, May 6, 1903."

Sources:
       Curator's Object Files, Civil War Flags, Alabama Department of Archives and History.

Previous FlagNext Flag

Return to Flag index
To Civil War Military records
To Willis Brewer's Brief Historical Sketches of Alabama Units
To Civil War Unit History files
Return to ADAH homepage

http://www.archives.alabama.gov/referenc/flags/112.html

Updated: October 26, 2006