Flag: C.S.A. Flag (Fragment of the Original First National Flag)
This fragment of blue wool was given to the Massachusetts Historical Society on July 12, 1866 by William C. Todd.1 It was donated to the Alabama Department of Archives and History on November 14, 1950. At that time, the fragment was identified as having been taken from the original first national flag of the Confederacy, which had been raised over the Confederate capitol in Montgomery, Alabama on March 4, 1861. In a letter to former General P. G. T. Beauregard dated May 14, 1872 William Porcher Miles stated that the prototype had been "made of merino, there being no bunting at hand."2 The original first national flag was made at George Cowles' "Fancy and Staple Dry Goods" establishment at 49 Market St., Montgomery, Alabama.
1According to a letter written on November 14, 1950 by Archives Director, Marie B. Owen, there is additional information concerning Todd in Volume 9, pp. 248 of the Proceedings of the Massachusetts Historical Society. However, this information has not been located.
2Merino is a fine wool from a breed of sheep originally from Spain.
|Previous Flag||Next Flag|
Return to Flag index
To Civil War Military records
To Willis Brewer's Brief Historical Sketches of Alabama Units
To Civil War Unit History files
Return to ADAH homepage
Updated: October 26, 2006