Images of flag of 6th Alabama Cavalry Regiment before (L) and after (R) conservation treatment.
Flag: 6th Alabama Cavalry
Flags of this pattern were manufactured in Mobile, Alabama, and issued within the Department of Alabama, Mississippi and East Louisiana1. On July 16, 1903 two former members of the 6th Alabama Cavalry stated that the regiment was formed in March 1863 and that they "soon thereafter marched to Montgomery" where they received their regimental colors.2 The flag was captured on March 25, 1865 during an engagement which took place between Canoe Creek, Alabama and the Escambia River by Private Thomas Riley, Co. D, 1st Louisiana Cavalry. Private Riley was recommended for and received the Congressional Medal of Honor. The flag was forwarded to the U.S. War Department where it was assigned Capture Number 453. The flag and its staff were returned to the State of Alabama effective April 26, 1905. The staff, which had been separated from the flag, was located and positively identified in July, 1998.
This flag received conservation treatment and was prepared for display by Textile Preservation Associates, Inc. of Sharpsburg, Maryland in March 1999 (see conservation report).
1Flags of this pattern were manufactured by James A. Cameron and Jackson Ogden Belknap.
2The men were W. H. Mabin, Company E and W. W. Watkins, Company A.
|Previous Flag||Next Flag|
Return to Flag index
To Civil War Military records
To Willis Brewer's Brief Historical Sketches of Alabama Units
To Civil War Unit History files
Return to ADAH homepage
Updated: July 26, 2007