Flag: 57th Alabama Infantry (Co. A. Clanton Rifles)
Catalogue No. 86.1872.1
(PN10134-10135)

Order a copy print

Provenance Reconstruction:

The 57th Alabama Infantry was organized in March 1863 at Troy in Pike County, Alabama. At that time, this flag was presented to the company on behalf of Mrs. James Holt Clanton, wife of General Clanton. The flag was presented by Judge John P. Hubbard and was received by Captain J. P. Wood. According to the available documentation, the flag was carried as the regimental colors throughout the war and was "pierced with many balls at the battle of Peach Tree Creek." Flag bearer John B. Carter was mortally wounded while carrying the flag at the Battle of Franklin.

In February 1865, Captain Wood returned home on furlough and brought the flag with him. Following the war, Wood retained the flag, which he donated to the Department of Archives and History on December 10, 1910.

Sources:
       Brewer, Willis. Alabama: Her Resources, War Records and Public Men; From 1540-1872. Montgomery, 1872.
       Curator's Object Files, Civil War Flags, Alabama Department of Archives and History.


Previous FlagNext Flag

Return to Flag index
To Civil War Military records
To Willis Brewer's Brief Historical Sketches of Alabama Units
To Civil War Unit History files
Return to ADAH homepage


http://www.archives.alabama.gov/referenc/flags/072.html
Updated: October 25, 2006