Flag: 7th Alabama Infantry (Co. K, Florence Guards)
Catalogue No. 86.3944.1
(PN10077-10080)

Order a copy print

Provenance Reconstruction:

The flag was presented to the company by the ladies of Florence through the Rev. Dr. Rivers on April 1, 1861 at the Masonic Hall in Florence, Alabama. It was received by Captain S. A. M. Wood. No subsequent history of the flag has been located. In 1903 Dr. Owen, Director, Alabama Department of Archives and History wrote John B. Weakley of Birmingham requesting the donation of the flag. On October 2, 1903 Turner R. Weakley replied that the flag had been given to him by his father and that he was "unwilling to part with the flag for any purpose." Apparently the flag eventually became the property of John B. Weakley who donated it to the Alabama Department of Archives and History on October 7, 1913.


Sources:
       Curator's Object Files, Civil War Flags, Alabama Department of Archives and History.
       Davis, William L. The Confederate General. The National Historical Society, 1991.
       Tancig, W. J. Confederate Military Land Units, 1861-1865. New York, Thomas Yoseloff, 1967.

Previous FlagNext Flag

Return to Flag index
To Civil War Military records
To Willis Brewer's Brief Historical Sketches of Alabama Units
To Civil War Unit History files
Return to ADAH homepage


http://www.archives.alabama.gov/referenc/flags/025.html
Updated: October 25, 2006