Flag: 2nd Alabama Infantry (Reserves, redesignated 63rd Alabama Infantry)
Organized on August 16, 1864, the 2nd Alabama Infantry Reserves was
redesignated as the 63rd Alabama Infantry in March 1865. This flag,
manufactured by either Jackson O. Belknap or James A. Cameron of Mobile, conforms to the pattern issued to
units within the Department of Alabama, Mississippi and East Louisiana. Since
the flag bears an appliqued unit designation for the 2nd Alabama Infantry, it must
have been issued prior to the unit being redesignated as the 63rd Alabama
Infantry. It was captured on April 9, 1865 at Blakeley, Alabama by Sgt. George F.
Rebman, Co. B, 119th Illinois Infantry. Sergeant Rebman was recommended for
and later received the Congressional Medal of Honor. On April 12, 1865, the flag
along with others was forwarded to Lt. Col. C. T. Christensen, Assistant Adjutant
General, Army and Division of West Mississippi by Major General A. J. Smith.
The flag was eventually sent to the U.S. War Department in Washington where it
was assigned Capture Number 449. It was returned to the State of Alabama
effective March 25, 1905.
|Previous Flag||Next Flag|
Return to Flag index
Civil War Soldiers database
To Civil War Military records
To Willis Brewer's Brief Historical Sketches of Alabama Units
To Civil War Unit History files
Return to ADAH homepage
Updated: October 25, 2006