State Records Commission
Annual Awards Program for Records Management and Preservation
The State Records Commission consists of nine members, six of them are ex officio and the other three are appointed. The ex officio members are the:
The appointed members :
One member from the University of Alabama (designated by the head of the Dept. of History)
- One member from Auburn University (designated by the head of the Dept. of History)
- One member from one of Alabama's Historically Black Colleges and Universities (appointed by the Governor)
The State Records Commission is charged with the following responsibilities:
- conduct surveys of public records created by state agencies (Code of Alabama 1975, Section 41-13-24).
- issue regulations classifying all public records and prescribing the period for which records of each class shall be retained (Code of Alabama 1975, Section 41-13-24).
- determine which public records shall be perserved permanently because of historical value and which records may be destroyed or otherwise diposed of (Code of Alabama 1975, Sections 41-13-21).
- approve records disposal requests submitted by state agencies prior to the records destruction (Code of Alabama 1975, Sections 41-13-21).
State and local officials -- for records management assistance call (334) 242-4452 or email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Updated: December 17, 2012