State Records Commission
The State Records Commission consists of nine members, six of them are ex officio and the other three are appointed. The ex officio members are the:
The appointed members :
One member from the University of Alabama (designated by the head of the Dept. of History)
- One member from Auburn University (designated by the head of the Dept. of History)
- One member from one of Alabama's Historically Black Colleges and Universities (appointed by the Governor)
The State Records Commission is charged with the following responsibilities:
- conduct surveys of public records created by state agencies (Code of Alabama 1975, Section 41-13-24).
- issue regulations classifying all public records and prescribing the period for which records of each class shall be retained (Code of Alabama 1975, Section 41-13-24).
- determine which public records shall be perserved permanently because of historical value and which records may be destroyed or otherwise diposed of (Code of Alabama 1975, Sections 41-13-21).
- approve records disposal requests submitted by state agencies prior to the records destruction (Code of Alabama 1975, Sections 41-13-21).
State and local officials -- for records management assistance call (334) 242-4452 or email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Updated: October 13, 2015