Donating Materials to the Archives Permanent Collections
The Department of Archives and History relies primarily on donations to add to the collection. We welcome donations of materials which help tell the story of the people of Alabama. We also collect books and other materials about Alabama for our Reference Collection.
Donating Artifacts and Documents
If you would like to offer material to the Archives for the permanent collections, please submit a description of the material using a potential donor form. If you prefer to talk to someone about a potential donation, contact the department registrar by e-mail or phone (334-353-4726). Archives staff do not provide monetary appraisals of materials, but do provide a list of professional appraisers.
Some time periods and topical areas are under represented and the Department is actively seeking donations from the following categories to improve the exhibits in the Museum of Alabama:
• Artifacts and records that document the lives of Alabama slaves
• Artifacts from textile and coal industries and that document the lives of workers in those industries
• a 1920s-30s gasoline pump
• Items produced in Alabama WWII industries or used by workers in WWII industries
• Artifacts and records associated with the Civil Rights movement in Alabama
• Artifacts and records associated with the Huntsville space program
• a Gees Bend quilt
• Materials which document traditional Alabama folk culture.
More information about artifacts can be found in the department’s full scope of collections statement.
The Research Room accepts and collects materials which document the history of the state of Alabama and the people and families of Alabama. Books about Alabama communities and families are maintained in the reference collection and are available for researchers to use at the Archives. The ADAH Reference Collection Policy provides more information. If you would like to offer material to the reference collection please submit a description of the material using a potential donor form . If you prefer to talk to someone about a potential donation contact the department registrar by e-mail or phone (334-353-4726).