Alabama Counties: Winston County
Click on the map to get a detailed image of the county
Provided by Alabama Maps
Winston County, Alabama, was created as Hancock County on 1850 Feb. 12 from territory formerly in Walker County. It was named for Gov. John Hancock of Massachusetts. On January 22, 1858, the name was changed to honor Alabama Gov. John A. Winston.
The county is located in the northwestern part of the state, in the Appalachian foothills. It currently encompasses 614 square miles. The county contains rich mineral deposits. Today a large portion of the county is part of the William B. Bankhead National Forest. The county seat is located in Double Springs. The county gained notoriety during the Civil War due to its reluctance to support the Confederacy.
Owen, Thomas McAdory. History of Alabama and Dictionary of Alabama Biography. Chicago: S. J. Clarke Publishing Co., 1921.
Updated: February 6, 2014