-->

 

Alabama Counties: Shelby County

 

Click on the map to get a detailed image of the county
Provided by Alabama Maps

 

map of Alabama counties with Shelby County highlighted

Shelby County was created by an act of the Alabama Territorial General Assembly on February 7, 1818, from former Creek Indian territory ceded in the Treaty of Fort Jackson on August 9, 1814. It is located in the north-central part of the state and is bounded on the north by Jefferson and St. Clair counties, on the south by Chilton and Bibb counties, on the east by Talladega county and on the west by Bibb and Jefferson counties. About one-half of the county is in the mineral belt. Shelby County encompasses 800 square miles.

 

The county is named for Isaac Shelby, first governor of Kentucky. The location of the first county seat was Shelbyville. In 1826 the town of Columbia changed its name to Columbiana and became the permanent county seat. Other towns and communities include: Alabaster, Calera, Pelham, and Montevallo, home of the University of Montevallo.

 

Alabaster Reporter online

Pelham Reporter online

Shelby County Reporter online

 

 

  Authority:


  Owen, Thomas McAdory. History of Alabama and Dictionary of Alabama Biography. Chicago: S. J. Clarke   Publishing Co., 1921.

 

 

Return to Alabama Counties
Return to Alabama History On-Line

 

http://www.archives.alabama.gov/counties/shelby.html

 

Updated:February 6, 2014