Alabama Counties: Lawrence County
Click on the map to get a detailed image of the county
Provided by Alabama Maps
Lawrence County was created by an act of the Alabama Territorial General Assembly on 6 Feb. 1818. It was formed from former Cherokee Indian land. It currently encompasses 693 square miles. The county is located in the northwestern part of the state and is bounded on the north by the Tennessee River.
The county is named for Capt. James Lawrence (Vermont), a naval hero of the War of 1812. The county seat was established in Moulton in 1820. Other towns of note include Courtland and Town Creek.
Owen, Thomas McAdory. History of Alabama and Dictionary of Alabama Biography. Chicago: S. J. Clarke Publishing Co., 1921.
Updated: February 6, 2014