Alabama Counties: Dallas County
Click-on the map to get a detailed image of the county
Provided by Alabama Maps
Dallas County was created by the Alabama Territorial legislature on 1818 Feb. 9, from portions of the Creek cession of 1814 Aug. 9. It was named for Alexander J. Dallas of Pennsylvania, U.S. Treasury Secretary. Dallas County is located in the Black Belt region of the west-central portion of the state, and is traversed by the Alabama River. Dallas is bordered by Perry, Chilton, Autauga, Lowndes, Wilcox, and Marengo counties. It currently encompasses 975 square miles. Originally, the county seat was at Cahaba, which also served as the state capital for a brief period. In 1865, the county seat was transferred to Selma. Other towns and communities include Marion Junction, Sardis, and Orrville.
Owen, Thomas McAdory. History of Alabama and Dictionary of Alabama Biography. Chicago: S. J. Clarke Publishing Co., 1921.
Updated: February 6, 2014