Alabama Counties: Barbour County
Click on the map to get a detailed image of the county
Provided by Alabama Maps
Barbour County was created on 18 Dec. 1832, from former Creek Indian territory and a portion of Pike County. Its boundaries were altered in 1866 and 1868. The county was named for Virginia Governor James Barbour.
Barbour County is located in the southeastern section of the state, bounded on the east by the Chattahoochee River and the State of Georgia. The county encompasses 884 square miles. The county seat was established in Louisville in 1833, and moved to Clayton in 1834. Today Barbour County contains two courthouses - one in Clayton and one in Eufaula.
Eufaula Tribune online
The Clayton Record online
Owen, Thomas McAdory. History of Alabama and Dictionary of Alabama Biography. Chicago: S.J. Clarke Publishing Co., 1921.
Updated: February 6, 2014