Historical Marker Program
First Baptist Church
First Baptist Church organized the founding year of the Southern Baptist Convention. In 1876 a handsome structure replaced the original unpainted building on the site of the present chapel. In 1902 a brick structure was erected. The church hosted the Alabama Baptist Convention's annual meeting in 1908. An educational wing was added in 1952. After a destructive fire in November, 1977, the present structure was built. Throughout its history the church has devoted its energies to Christ-centered ministries.
[1995: Main Street at Church Street, Roanoke
33.15150 N 85.37311 W
Lebanon Christian Church
Founded March 31, 1864 by evangelist Moses Park. William Terry Kirby, Sr. and Nancy T. Greer Kirby donated four acres of land adjacent to their home for the church site. Services were first conducted at a brush arbor on the property, which later became Lebanon Cemetery. The present building, construction in 1887 has been in continuous use and remains virtually unaltered.
Sarah E. Adcock
Eliza E. Taylor
Sarah E. Taylor
[1996: 2071 County Road 79 at County Road 667 near Roanoke.
33.18967 N 85.35052 W
Created December 18, 1832, from Creek Indian cession and named for U.S. Senator John Randolph of Virginia. Wedowee, the county seat, is named for the chief of a Creek Indian village which once occupied this site. First court was held near Triplett's Ferry on the Tallapoosa River, west of Wedowee.
[US Hwy 431 at AL Hwy 48 on courthouse lawn in Wedowee
33.30937 N 85.48466 W]
Randolph County Training School (1919-1970)
“The Maroon & Gold Bulldogs”
Randolph County Training School (RCTS) was chartered on September 15, 1919 as a public school for African Americans. It opened in the fall of 1920 with 73 students. The original two-story wood structure was built with contributions from black parents and community leaders and the local white community. The Rosenwald Fund provided seed money for the seven-teacher RCTS, as it did for nearly 5,000 other schools for African Americans in the South between 1912 and 1932. The original building burned in 1943 and was replaced, in 1948, by a masonry building that was still in use when the school was closed by a federal court’s desegregation order in 1970. During its 51-year history, the dedicated staff of RCTS provided a solid education to thousands of students in spite of the “separate and unequal” circumstances. The school also was the nucleus of many social, civic, and educational activities in the black community.
Other Randolph County pages: