Historical Marker Program
The original "Fort Deposit" was established as a supply depot by General Ferdinand L. Claiborne in 1813 during the Creek Indian War. It served as a base of operations when General Claiborne engaged the Creeks at the Battle of the Holy Ground. The Fort was located just northeast of the present Myrtlewood Cemetery in the Gilmer Hills area.
The community of Fort Deposit, once known as Ballard's Precinct, arose on its present site during the territorial and early statehood periods of Alabama history. The legislature incorporated the town of Fort Deposit on February13, 1891.
[1994; missing 2010]
Founded in 1820 by settlers from the Edgefield, Abbeville, and Colleton Districts of South Carolina on property purchased from the U.S. Land Office at Cahaba. Officially named Hayneville in 1831 to honor South Carolina Senator Robert Y. Hayne. Hayne's 1830 debates with Daniel Webster in the U.S. Senate over the nature of the federal union earned fame for the South Carolinian across the South and remain classics in American political discourse.
[1994: Lowndes Co. Courthouse, Hayneville 32.18391N 86.58036W]
Settled before 1820 by planters from South Carolina and Virigina. First called McGill's Hill, it was incorporated, 1832, as Lowndesboro in honor of William Lowndes. There was a brief skirmish here between Forrest's troops and Wilson's raiders, April 10, 1865.
[1978: South Broad St. north of U.S. Hwy 80 32.28079N 86.60996W]
Shiloh Primitive Baptist Church
Organized in 1850 as Shiloh Baptist Church on the Pritchett Plantation, later known as the R.D. Spann Place on Highway 21, North, 3 miles north of Hayneville. Primitive later added to the name. Building originally constructed of logs, then a wooden-board structure added as the community grew. Understanding the need to educate blacks in the late 1800s and early 1900s, the church served as both a school and a place to worship God on the Lord's Day. In 1875 the Pilgrim Rest Primitive Baptist Association was organized at the Spann Place site, the Elder Morris Jaree, Pastor. Church remodeled in 1960 under the leadership of Elder J.H. Betts. 1970 building addition made under the leadership of Elder J.S. Johnson. Congregation in 1990 decided to purchase parcel of land to relocate some 3 miles north of original site. New building dedicated 1995. Congregation has taken active role in social ministry contributing to the well being of the community. Cornerstone reflects its philosophy: "We've come this far by Faith."
[2002: Ala. Hwy 21 south of U.S. Hwy 80 32.24427N 86.52713W]
Other Lowndes County pages: