Home

Join

News and Events

The Alabama Review

Historical Markers Program

Awards

Leadership

Committees

Articles of Incorporation and Bylaws

Local Alabama Historical and Genealogical Societies

Podcasts

Alabama History Community Calendar

THE ALABAMA HISTORICAL ASSOCIATION

Historical Marker Program

Lee County

Auburn

Site of Alabama Polytechnic Institute. A Land Grant College, East Alabama Male College (Methodist) 1857. Agricultural and Mechanical College of Alabama, 1872. Alabama Polytechnic Institute, 1899.
[Before 1965: Auburn University]

 

Auburn University

Alabama's Land-Grant University. This title given by Legislature in 1960 followed start of second century of growth in diverse services to state, nation. This act confirmed name "Auburn" used popularly from its founding by Methodists as East Alabama Male College in 1856. Methodists deeded college to State in 1872 to become under the Land Grant Act, Agricultural & Mechanical College of Alabama. In 1899, with growth, name changed to Alabama Polytechnic Institute. "Owing much to the past, Auburn's mission makes its greater debt ever to the future."
[Before 1965: Located behind Samford Hall on Thach Street, Auburn University 32.60424 N   85.48372 W]

 

Founders' Oak

This post oak started growth in 1850 and was 6 years old when East Alabama Male College was established. It was 33 years old when the Alabama Agricultural Station was established, 91 when the nation entered World War II, and over 100 when this site was made an arboretum. In 1975, Hurricane Eloise wreaked havoc in the arboretum but the Founders' Oak withstood the storm. It was 150 years old at the start of the twenty-first century and is expected to be here at the start of the next century.
[2004: Davis Arboretum, Garden Drive off S. College Street, Auburn University campus 32.59626 N   85.48331 W]


Line 32° 28´ North Latitude

Northern Boundary of: British W. Florida 1764-83, Spanish W. Florida 1783-95, Mississippi Territory 1798-1804, Washington County 1800-12, Clarke County 1812-15. Southern Boundary of: British Illinois 1764-83, United States 1783-95. Line fixed in 1764 by British king across present Alabama-Mississippi. France had ceded area to Britain in 1763.
[1984: County Road 430 south of Smith's Station, 32.53123 N    85.08814 W]

 

Sigma Alpha Epsilon

The Alpha Mu chapter of Sigma Alpha Epsilon was founded on June 15, 1878 at the Agricultural & Mechanical College of Alabama (now Auburn University). John E.D. Shipp came to Auburn as a student determined to organize a chapter at a time when fraternities were forbidden on campus. Working in secrecy with SAE brothers in Georgia, Shipp had two members of Mercer University's chapter, William H. Felton and Frank H. Greaves, travel to Auburn to install the chapter behind Old Main in a cornfield where Samford Hall now stands. The first fraternity on Auburn's campus, Sigma Alpha Epsilon remains a place for "The True Gentleman."
[2003: W. Magnolia St., Auburn 32.60649 N    85.49275 W]


Other Lee County pages:

Back to Historical Marker Index

http://www.archives.alabama.gov/aha/markers/lee.html

Updated: September 13, 2012