A County Older Than the State-Greene County
Named for Revolutionary War hero, General Nathaniel Greene, who drove British from Southeast. Area explored by DeSoto, 1540. Claimed as French Louisiana, 1699. Ceded to England, 1763. Ceded by Choctaw Nation, 1816. Made a territorial county, 1819. Eutaw, county seat, is named for Greene's victory at Eutaw Springs, South Carolina.
[Before 1965: Greene County Courthouse, Eutaw]
Beulah Baptist Church
Organized February 23, 1833
Charter members were-Elizabeth Brooks, David S. Brooks, Thomas J. Drummond, Nancy Leatherwood, John Leopard, Albert M. Tandy, Matilda Tandy, Ralph Tandy, Luke Thornton, Sarah Thornton, Rev. Matthew Pickett Smith. The first building was of hewn logs but today, on the same property, are located the red brick sanctuary and educational rooms erected 1948. Rev. Matthew Pickett Smith served as pastor 1836-1881. The first Sunday School was organized 1877 with Thomas J. Nix serving as superintendent. Throughout the years, members have gone from this church to serve as leaders in various places.
First Presbyterian Church
Eutaw, Alabama. Erected 1851, D. B. Anthony Contractor. Organized by Tuscaloosa Presbytery in 1824 as Mesopotamia Presbyterian Church. John H. Gray first minister 1826-1836. Educational Building erected 1959.
Pleasant Ridge Presbyterian Church
By appointment of Tuscaloosa Presbytery, Nov. 18, 1848 Rev. J. L. Kirkpatrick and Rev. C. A. Stillman organized a Presbyterian Church at Pleasant Ridge, Alabama. There were 13 charter members. Services were held in a home near site of present church.
The first pastor, Rev. J. P. McMullen, served from 1855 until he was killed while serving the Confederacy at Resaca, Ga. 1864. The church building erected 1859, has been a blessing to all who have worshipped here through the years.
Saint John's Church (Episcopal)
Organized "in the Prairie" south of Greensboro in 1834 by the Rev. Caleb Ives, pioneer missionary to the old Southwest. Admitted to parish status in 1838 by the Rt. Rev. Jackson Kemper, Provisional Bishop of Alabama. First rector was the Rev. John Avery, D.D. Present building designed by Mr. Richard Upjohn, renowned American architect and founder of the American Institute of Architects. Erected in 1859 and moved across the Warrior River to its present location in 1878.
Spanish West Florida
Spain seized colony, 1780, from British during American Revolution. Ceded to Spain in 1783. 32° 28´, northern boundary, crossed present Alabama-Mississippi River. In 1795 Spain ceded area to U.S. but kept Mobile and Pensacola.
Other Greene County pages:
Back to Historical Marker Index
Updated: September 13, 2012