World War II: 1942 - 1945
On 6/18/1942 the U.S. took possession of 36,300 acres in Etowah and adjoining St. Clair County to establish Alabama's first Chemical Warfare Center. The area was dedicated on 12/25/1942 and named for U.S. Army M/G William Luther Sibert, first Chief of Chemical Warfare Service and a native of Etowah County. The camp served as a Unit Training Center and a Replacement Training Center for the CWS and could accommodate up to 30,000 troops. Forty-seven percent of all CWS units of WW II were trained here. The camp was deactivated on 12/31/1945.
[2005: Attalla, AL Hwy 77 at Attalla City near mile marker 109.
33.99970 N 86.10921 W]
May 2, 1863. Here girl heroine led Forrest's men
across Black Creek on way to capture Streight's raiders. This saved the rairlroad supplying Confederate Army of Tennessee.
[1952: US Hwy 431 (Meighan Ave.) at North 21st Street near mile marker 263 in Gadsden.
34.02412 N 86.03511 W ]
North Alabama Conference
The North Alabama Conference of the United Methodist Church was organized on this site in the Methodist Episcopal Church South, of Gadsden, Alabama, November 16, 1870 -- Bishop Robert Paine, presiding. The Centennial Convocation of the Conference was held here November 16, 1970 -- Bishop W. Kenneth Goodson, presiding.
[1970: South 5th Street @ Chestnut Avenue in Gadsden
34.01292 N 86.00545 W]
Other Etowah County pages:
Back to Historical Marker Index
Updated: September 13, 2012