Historical Marker Program
Boll Weevil Monument
December 11, 1919
In Profound Appreciation
Of the Boll Weevil
And what it has done
As the Herald of Prosperity
This Monument was Erected
By the Citizens of
Enterprise, Coffee County, Alabama.
[East College & South Main Streets, Enterprise 31.31444 N 85.85382 W]
Chartered as Clintonville Male and Female Academy by Alabama Legislature January 11, 1860. Building constructed 1860, occupied 1861. The first school in Coffee County to teach beyond the sixth grade. Clintonville, for many years, was recognized as the cultural and educational center of the county.
This area was first known as Indigo Head. In 1845, one of the first voting precincts in the county was located here. Clintonville post-office established June 16, 1849. Some of the pioneer families were Fleming, Brooks, Hutchinson, Gunter, Sawyer, Goynes, Watson, Carmichael, Moates, Warren, Brock, Harding, Wilks, Peacock, and Helms.
[Hwy 51 at Co. Rd. 259 31.41292 N 85. 89288 W]
Enterprise Academy Founded 1904
Beloved leader and principal of this institution, later known as Carroll Street School, was William M. Donald (1870-1941). His philosophy of education was: "Apply yourself. Excellence is attained through self-discipline and hard work. Learn the rules. Gain knowledge. Knowledge is power. No one can take it away from you."
Erected 1979 by: Delta Sigma Beta Chapter-Alpha Phi Chi Sorority, Citizens of Enterprise, Coffee County, Alabama.
[South Carroll Street, Enterprise 31.31501 N 85.86347 W]
First United Methodist Church
Earliest Church in Elba
A congregation of the Methodist Episcopal Church, South existed in Elba even before Rev. Robert Shaw Rabb was assigned as the first minister to the Elba Circuit on December 15, 1853. This site was purchased in 1909 and the Church officially opened on February 12, 1911. Large panels of stained glass windows are a memorial to Confederate soldiers from Coffee County. The historic Church bell was cast on February 21, 1908 in Hillsboro, Ohio.
[Courthouse Square, Elba 31.41364 N 86.06722 W]
Historic Court Square
The first Coffee County Courthouse was at Wellborn and burned in 1851. This site was given by John B. Simmo when Elba was selected the county seat, polling 58 more votes than Indigo Head (Clintonville) in a county election on October 5, 1852. The first building erected on this site was a two-story frame structure burned by Ward's Raiders on September 3, 1863. A new courthouse was completed in 1867. This building served Coffee County until 1881 and was sold at an auction. A third building completed in 1882 was enlarged in 1889. Failing to meet the needs of Coffee County it was replaced by the present courthouse in 1903. Listed in National Register of Historic Places.
[Coffee County Courthouse, Elba 31.41392 N 86.06584 W]
Holloway Tabernacle Church
The first congregational meetings were held in a small former dwelling house. In 1915 this congregation joined with the Alabama District of The Assemblies of God. First pastors were: Rev. Elijah Spence and Rev. Wayne Tomlin. First deacons were: G. W. Grimes, Jim Holloway, A. D. Grimes and Dan Stinson. Charter members were: Joe and Mary T. Holloway, George and Anna Grimes, Dan and Georgan Stinson, John W. Holloway, Dewey P. Holloway, Jim Holloway, Andrew and Mary Bell Grimes, Melinda J. Kennedy, Francis Anderson, Oscar and Mattie Weeks, Ellen Wooten and Alice Grimes.
[Convergence of Co. Rds. 639 and 646, southwest of Enterprise 31.24336 N 85.96402 W]
Mount Pleasant Missionary Baptist Church
1874: Founded near Double Bridges Creek (LeCompte Place) three miles southwest of the present location. First pastor: J. W. Bullard. Charter members: Mr. and Mrs. Tom Mathis, Mr. and Mrs. Tom Barbee, Mr. and Mrs. Jack Nichols, Mr. and Mrs. Joe Jones, Mr. Bob Howell, Miss Lizzie Gilbert, and Mr. Lige Cobb.
"I was glad when they said unto me, let us go into the house of the Lord." Psalm 122:1
[Hwy 27 south of Enterprise 31.24853 N 85.89007 W]
Original two-story brick structure built 1903 by Japheth Rawls, developer of some of the earliest turpentine plants in Coffee County. Building remodeled 1928 and three-story wings added by Jesse P. Rawls, founder of the first electric power system in Enterprise. Hotel was center for business and social gatherings until its closing in early 1970's. Listed on National Register of Historic Places 1980.
[South Main Street, Enterprise 31.31392 N 85.85369 W]
Approximately two miles east. The First Seat of Justice for Coffee County, Alabama. Named for General William Wellborn, an Alabama Commander during the Creek Indian War of 1836-37. Under the Act of December 29, 1841, establishing Coffee County, Commissioners Britton T. Atkinson, James Claxton, Thomas Cole, John B. Cruise, and Amos Wiggins were named to secure a "seat of justice" not exceeding 160 acres, not more than six miles from the center of the county, and to erect thereon a court house and jail and lay off the remaining lots for sale. The court house burned in March, 1851. In 1852, by election, Elba was chosen as permanent location for the court house.
[Missing during 2008 survey]
The first seat of justice for Coffee County was located approximately 500 yards southeast of this site. The community was named for Gen. William Wellborn, an Alabama commander during the Creek Indian War of 1836-37.
Under the Act of December 29, 1841 establishing Coffee County, Commissioners Britton T. Atkinson, James Claxton, Thomas Cole, John B. Cruise, and Amos Wiggins were named to secure a "seat of justice" not exceeding 100 acres, and not more than six miles from the center of the county, and erect thereon a courthouse and jail, and lay off the remaining land into lots for sale.
The Court House burned March 1851. By election, Elba was chosen as the permanent location for the Court House in 1852.
[County Road 544, west of Enterprise 31.32328 N 85.99864 W]
Other Coffee County pages: