Home

Join

News and Events

The Alabama Review

Historical Markers Program

Awards

Leadership

Committees

Articles of Incorporation and Bylaws

Local Alabama Historical and Genealogical Societies

Podcasts

Alabama History Community Calendar

THE ALABAMA HISTORICAL ASSOCIATION

Historical Marker Program

Chilton County

Walnut Creek United Methodist Church

Established 1820.
Arthur Love, a charter member, was first pastor.
Organized as a Methodist Episcopal Church.
Became Methodist Protestant, 1828.
Changed to Methodist Church, 1939.
Affiliated with United Methodist, 1968.
In the original church built of logs, Judge James Q. Smith, Montgomery, in 1869,
presided at first court held
in Baker Co. (now Chilton).
Circa 1875, a frame building replaced log church.
Present brick building erected 1935.
Walnut Creek United Methodist Church has always maintained a progressive Sunday School.
[1978: 314 Co. Rd 458, Clanton 32.85462N  86.59857W]

 


Other Chilton County pages:
Back to Historical Marker Index

http://www.archives.alabama.gov/aha/markers/chilton.html

Updated: September 13, 2012