Other Barbour County pages:
Historical Marker Program
Barbour County was incorporated on December 19, 1857. Bluff city on the Chattahoochee River. Lower Creek village of the Eufaula Indians antedating 1733. Early white settlers began moving into the village called Yufala in 1823. Irwinton was chartered in 1832, and was renamed Eufaula in 1843. Since it was a hub of a prosperous plantation region with thriving river trade, many antebellum homes remain as signs of its wealth and culture. After becoming an inland port in 1963, industries began locating here.
[North Eufaula Avenue (Highway 431) 31.90025 N 85.14585 W ]
Back to Historical Marker Index
Updated: September 13, 2012